Managers and directors in storage and warehousing plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources necessary for the safe and efficient receipt, storage and warehousing of goods and for the maintenance of stocks at an optimal level.
- Liaises with production, maintenance, sales and other departments to determine the materials and other items required for current and future production schedules and sales commitments
- Reviews, develops and implements stock control, handling and distribution policies to maximise use of space, money, labour and other resources
- Advises purchasing department on type, quality and quantity of goods required and dates by which they must be available
- Prepares reports on expenditure and advises on materials and parts standardisation, future stores and stock control policies
- Decides on storage conditions for particular items, allocates warehouse space and arranges for regular stock inspections to detect deterioration or damage.
Candidates are recruited with a variety of academic qualifications and/or with relevant experience. Entrants to management trainee schemes offered by larger companies will require GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, a degree or other equivalent qualifications. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. Professional and vocational qualifications covering a number of areas including supply chain and operations management are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2, 3, 4 and 5.