Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the work and resources necessary to provide and operate information technology and telecommunications services within an organisation.
- Develops in consultation with other senior management the IT/telecommunications strategy of the organisation
- Directs the implementation within the organisation of IT/telecommunications strategy, infrastructure, procurement, procedures and standards
- Develops the periodic business plan and operational budget for IT/telecommunications to deliver agreed service levels
- Considers the required IT/telecommunications staffing levels, oversees recruitment and appointment of staff and directs training policy
- Prioritises and schedules major IT/telecommunications projects
- Ensures that new technologies are researched and evaluated in the light of the organisation’s broad requirements.
There are no pre-set entry requirements although candidates usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification together with substantial, relevant work experience. A variety of professional and postgraduate qualifications is available.