Understanding Nutrition and Health Level 2 Certificate
This qualification is ideal for a wide range of students who are interested in improving their understanding of nutrition and healthy eating. It will be particularly relevant for those working, or intending to work, in settings such as sport and recreation, exercise and fitness, hospitality and catering or health care, providing specific skills and knowledge to support their role in the workplace.
This qualification aims to:
- increase understanding of the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health
- increase confidence in planning and achieving a healthy diet
- provide an understanding of how an individual's dietary requirements change throughout their life
- provide an understanding of food labelling and the ability to use information from food labels
- provide information on eating disorders
- increase understanding of the role of a healthy diet for weight management
- increase understanding of the principles of food safety in a home environment.
To be awarded the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health, students are required to successfully complete six mandatory units.
This qualification consists of six mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Explore principles of healthy eating (five credits)
- Unit 02 Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals (four credits)
- Unit 03 Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet (four credits)
- Unit 04 The principles of weight management (one credit)
- Unit 05 Understanding eating disorders (one credit)
- Unit 06 Principles of food safety for the home environment (one credit)
The course will take up to 25 weeks to complete and is available throughout the year enabling students to choose when they wish to study. Students are supported by a personal tutor on a one-to-one basis throughout their course.
You will be issued with an Induction Workbook during your first discussion with your tutor; this workbook will determine whether you are suitable for the course. Students must be aged 19+ and have lived in the UK/EU for the last three years. A good level of numeracy and literacy is required.
Ages 24+: Our L2 Distance Learning qualifications are free to EU/UK Nationals regardless of previous qualifications.
Ages 19 to 23 are eligible for free courses if they have already achieved a full L2 qualification or equivalent. Please contact us for clarification.
Ages 19 to 23 who have not already achieved a full L2 qualification may be subject to costs. Please contact us for clarification.
NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
Students may wish to progress on to other sports or health related qualifications or on to higher level nutrition courses. NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care.
Assessment is through successful completion of the end-of-module assessments. These assessments are tutor marked, internally moderated and then moderated by the awarding body.
Study will be home-based and at the student's discretion within the timeframe stipulated by tutor.
Students do not have to be in current work in this sector.
Fees and Additional Costs
Our Level 2 Distance Learning courses are available for FREE to UK/EU nationals aged 19 and over.
|CL2UNAH 202101||Flexible Start||-||£0|
14 - 18 year olds
In most cases students aged 14-18 years old on a substantial study programme will NOT be required to pay fees and most course-specific equipment and materials will be funded by the College. This excludes stationary, non-curriculum trips and a £15 enrichment fee.
19 years and over
Students aged 19 years and over may be required to pay fees. For details of fee remission and loans for students over the age of 19 click here. Please note that some courses may have additional registration, examination and/or materials fees. Where we have been unable to provide these additional costs in this information, they will be discussed with you prior to enrolment. If you think you may be entitled to financial support or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us.